[ovs-discuss] VLAN setting problems with Openflow controller

楊雅倫 ellenyang at cht.com.tw
Tue May 1 09:19:47 UTC 2012

Hi All,

We are working with Open vSwitch testing above XenServer6.0. The version of Open vSwitch is 1.0.99.
Now we meet a serious problem when setting VLAN.
We have two virtual machines on two different physical hypervisors, VM_A and VM_B.
We separately use ovs-vsctl add-br xxx xxx tag=x to set VLAN tag on two VMs, VM_A for VLAN 10, and VM_B for VLAN 20, and it works well (VM_A could not ping VM_B).

However, when Open vSwitch connected to the NOX controller and the controller also enables pyswitch, the functionality of VLAN setting is missing.
That is, the two VMs can ping each other.
We also observe the packet formats with Wireshark, and the packet headers do not contain VLAN tag.
Therefore, we could not do the following testing related to VLAN.

Is it a bug for the OVS version we used? If so, is it recommended to use the lastest version?
Or is there some setting errors for our testing?

Thanks,

Ellen