[ovs-discuss] simple open vswitch usage?

Ryan White rwhite at i-a-i.com
Fri May 4 14:09:45 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am a bit of a networking newbie, and I just want to get some simple Open
vSwitch usage. For instance, is it possible for a laptop with Open vSwitch
and VirtualBox, to connect its virtual machine to the internet using a VBox
host-only adapter bridged to wlan0, which is connected to the internet? How
would I do this using ovs-vsctl?

I tried:
ovs-vsctl add-br br0

ovs-vsctl add-port vboxnet0

ovs-vsctl add-port wlan0

and this didn't do anything but make it impossible to even ping between the
VM and laptop.

I know I can just use VBox's bridged adapter but I wanted to use ovs as a
first-step/proof-of-concept for ovs.

Is there also a place I can go for simple things done with ovs, like an easy
tutorial? I tried finding one but I couldn't. I am having a hard time
understanding what Open vSwitch does. Is there a good starting point?

Thanks,

-Ryan White

This message and all attachments are PRIVATE, and contain information that
is PROPRIETARY to Intelligent Automation, Inc. You are not authorized to
transmit or otherwise disclose this message or any attachments to any
third party whatsoever without the express written consent of Intelligent
Automation, Inc. If you received this message in error or you are not
willing to view this message or any attachments on a confidential basis,
please immediately delete this email and any attachments and notify
Intelligent Automation, Inc.