[ovs-discuss] br0 dropping VLAN 0 packets and internal port br0

Dietrich, Stefan stefan.dietrich at desy.de
Fri May 11 10:42:38 UTC 2012

Hello,

I just started playing with Open vSwitch and some questions started coming up.

My setup:
- 1x Scientific Linux 6.1 x64 KVM hypervisor
- OpenNebula 3.2.1 creating virtual machines, Open vSwitch enabled
- Open vSwitch 1.4.0 build from source with brcompat enabled
- Two interfaces eth0 and eth1 configured as bond0 with VLANs 123 and
567 allowed.

To access my hypervisor again with an ip address, I created one fake
bridge 'mgmt0' with the tag 567. Via ifconfig I added the ip address.
This is working so far without problems.

The virtual machines should run on VLAN 123. The vnet ports were created
by OpenNebula, when the virtual machine is launched. The virtual
machines have a working network connectivity to the outside world.

But I am getting this error very often in my ovs-vswitchd.log:
May 11 09:57:27|03042|ofproto_dpif|WARN|bridge br0: dropping VLAN 0
packet received on port bond0 not configured for trunking VLAN 0

The documentation says, that this is untagged traffic, right?
Should there be really untagged traffic?

My other question is, why do I have an internal port br0 (see output below)?
I can ifconfig this br0 port, but what VLAN is it using?

Regards,
Stefan

ovs-vsctl show
40ff7447-5c7e-48fb-ae49-12b8c6720468
    Bridge "br0"
        Port "vnet4"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet4"
        Port "vnet3"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet3"
        Port "vnet2"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet2"
        Port "vnet9"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet9"
        Port "vnet5"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet5"
        Port "mgmt0"
            tag: 567
            Interface "mgmt0"
                type: internal
        Port "vnet6"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet6"
        Port "vnet8"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet8"
        Port "vnet0"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet0"
        Port "vnet1"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet1"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
        Port "bond0"
            trunks: [123, 567]
            Interface "eth1"
            Interface "eth0"
        Port "vnet7"
            tag: 123
            Interface "vnet7"
    ovs_version: "1.4.0"

Stefan Dietrich            Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (IT-Systems)
                        Ein Forschungszentrum der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
                                                            Notkestr. 85
phone:  +49-40-8998-4696                                   22607 Hamburg
e-mail: stefan.dietrich at desy.de                                  Germany