[ovs-discuss] br0 dropping VLAN 0 packets and internal port br0

Dietrich, Stefan stefan.dietrich at desy.de
Tue May 15 11:24:13 UTC 2012

On Mo, 2012-05-14 at 09:53 -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:42:38PM +0200, Dietrich, Stefan wrote:
> > But I am getting this error very often in my ovs-vswitchd.log:
> > May 11 09:57:27|03042|ofproto_dpif|WARN|bridge br0: dropping VLAN 0
> > packet received on port bond0 not configured for trunking VLAN 0
> >
> > The documentation says, that this is untagged traffic, right?
> > Should there be really untagged traffic?
>
> Your bond0 is connected to eth0 and eth1, presumably physical Ethernet
> ports.  You will have to tell me whether there untagged traffic should
> ever be received on that port.  I can't tell you because I don't know
> what else is connected to those ports through an upstream switch.

Untagged traffic should not be allowed. I run tcpdump on eth0, set up
the filter to filter tagged traffic and the only packages left are just
spanning tree packages. So this should be ok (should have checked first
before asking).

> > My other question is, why do I have an internal port br0 (see output below)?
> > I can ifconfig this br0 port, but what VLAN is it using?
>
> There's always an internal port with the same name as the bridge.  The
> rules for its VLAN configuration are the same as for other ports.  In
> this case, it's a trunk port for all VLANs.

Ah ok, questions solved.
Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,
Stefan