[ovs-discuss] how to communicate witch OVS remotely witch openflow

Sergio Kviato sergius_kvantos at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 23 15:04:36 UTC 2012

On May 23, 2012, at 5:12 PM, faicker mo wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to control the OVS with openflow remotely.
>
> I found this way is OK:
> -------
> ovs-vsctl set-controller br0 ptcp:
> ovs-ofctl show tcp:192.168.8.125
> ------
> But I find it didn't  use the openflow.
> how can I control OVS with open flow remotely?
>
> I find ovsdb-client uses the openflow. Is this the right way?

vSwitch is one part, OpenFlow is another. ovsdb-client connects to ovsdb server. It uses JSON-RPC as method. Using ovsdb you can control OVS itself ie connect disconnect ports, bonding etc, nor control flows table.

Open vSwitch can be controlled using OpenFlow. Since you set up controller, then controller will be responsible to control flows in OVS.