[ovs-discuss] Virtual LAN

Maciej Gałkiewicz maciejgalkiewicz at ragnarson.com
Wed May 23 21:35:10 UTC 2012

Hello

I rent some servers connected with L3 switches and/or routers. Each of
them have one public IP address. Servers are used for hosting virtual
machines (Debian). VMs will be live migrated among nodes so they need
to kept their IP address.

I want to use openstack and it would be great if all servers will be
in a single LAN (VLAN). Unfortunately there is no such possibility. I
don't have access to any intermediary network devices and I can't
change their configuration. This is why I decided to build virtual LAN
(layer 2).

Here is a simple topology:

Two intermediate servers with openvswitch which will be connected to
all compute nodes through openvswitch GRE tunnels. Many servers with
VMs connected to both intermediate servers.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5820195/siec_openstack/Diagram2_en.png

Each compute-node is connected (trunk link) with 2 intermediate
switches (redundant). Transmission is encrypted. VMs are in the same
VLANs even if they are on different nodes.

I have also considered openflow but I have no idea how to start.

Has anyone built such network? Do you have any advices, comments? Is
it a reasonable solution for my needs?

--
Regards
Maciej Galkiewicz