[ovs-discuss] ovs-vswitchd and arp traffic

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed May 30 20:42:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 09:38:05PM +0100, Haris Rotsos wrote:
> I am writting to this list, because I notice a strange behaviour with the
> ovs-vswitch distributed with the ubuntu/debian distribution.
>
> My confusion/problem(?) lies on the way the ovs-vswitchd handles
> arptraffic. I initialize my switch as follows:
>
> ovsdb-server /etc/openvswitch/conf.db  --remote=punix:/var/run/ovsdb-server
> --detach --monitor
> ovs-vswitchd  unix:/var/run/ovsdb-server --detach --monitor

Why do you go to this trouble of starting ovsdb-server and
ovs-vswitchd yourself?  The Debian packaging should do this for you.
And then you would not need to say "--db=unix:/var/run/ovsdb-server"
as you do, below.

> ovs-vsctl --db=unix:/var/run/ovsdb-server init
> ovs-vsctl --db=unix:/var/run/ovsdb-server add-br br0
> ovs-vsctl --db=unix:/var/run/ovsdb-server add-port br0 eth1
> ovs-vsctl --db=unix:/var/run/ovsdb-server set-controller br0 tcp:
> 127.0.0.1:6633
> ovs-vsctl --db=unix:/var/run/ovsdb-server set-fail-mode br0 standalone
>
> what i trying to do is to capture arp requests/response on the controller
> on the interface eth0.

It seems likely that you are getting caught by in-band control.  I
recommend setting up your controller in "out-of-band" mode.