[ovs-discuss] question about creating Ethernet switches in VMs (on single physical machine)

Dong Jin jinanddong at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:29:36 UTC 2012

Thanks for your quick response, Justin.

If I want to emulate 2 Ethernet switches, and each Ethernet switch
connects to an end-host, totally 4 nodes. Each node (Ethernet switch
or end host) is running inside a VM, similar to what mininet is doing.
I do not think running OVS in one VM is correct. It looks that there
should be only one OVS running within the single physical machine
regardless of how many VMs are running. but I am confused about what
to run inside for those VMs representing the Ethernet switches. Maybe
I am missing something here.

What I want to do is to extend our emulation testbed with openflow
support. The idea is somewhat similar to mininet, to emulate a medium
scale network with swtiches/routers/end hosts. In particular, I am
trying to run openvswitch within OpenVZ virtualization
(http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page) on Redhat 5. One setup is

VM1(eth0)            (eth0) VM2 (eth1)            (eth0)VM3(eth1)
     (eth0) VM4
   |                               |                    |
       |                 |                   |
 veth1.0   ------    veth2.0         veth2.1-----  veth3.0
veth3.1----- veth4.0
                                                              VE0

The hypervisor is called VE0 in OpenVZ. Within VE0, veth1.0 and
veth2.0 connect with vzbr using brctl; similar for veth2.1and veth3.0,
veth3.1 to veth4.0.
VM1 and VM4 are emulated end-hosts, and VM2 and VM3 are emulated
switches. The logical topology is

VM1(eth0)   ----------  (eth0) VM2 (eth1) -------  (eth0)VM3(eth1)
--------  (eth0) VM4

I am wondering how to setup the ovs-vswitchd for the above case?

kevin