[ovs-discuss] error inserting brcompat

Brad Hedlund brad.hedlund at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:21:36 UTC 2012

I had a similar problem.  OVS loads perfectly along with brcompat after a
fresh install on Ubuntu 12.04.  But when the machine reboots your bridge
kernel module is back and causes conflict when OVS tries to start/load.
 This is because bridge-utils is still installed on the machine as Ubunutu
views it as a dependency for KVM.  I tried 'rmmod bridge' as suggested
below, and that allows me to then manually load OVS with no problem.  But
that's not a permanent fix -- reloading the machine again brings us back to
square one.  So here is what I did...

This may not be the perfect solution but here is what seems to have worked
for me.
Edit */etc/init.d/openvswitch-switch*
Prepend the file with this line: *rmmod bridge*
*
*
Your OVS install will persist happily across reboots.

The only less than perfect thing I have observed so far from doing this is
that when you run *service openvswitch-switch status* -- you will see an
error message:  *ERROR: Module bridge does not exist in /proc/modules*

I think that's just because the *rmmod bridge* statement you added in
/etc/init.d/openvswitch-switch runs again.  So that "ERROR" message
is innocuous and can be ignored.

But perhaps there is a better way than this band-aid...

Cheers,
Brad