[ovs-discuss] Question regarding GRE reported interface speed

Jeff Welsch jeff at jeffwelsch.com
Mon Oct 1 21:15:20 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the interface speed of GRE tunnels.  I have created a GRE tunnel between two instances of OVS and am able to pass traffic through the tunnel.  The command used to configure the tunnel(s) was:

ovs-vsctl add-port br0 gre0 -- set interface gre0 type=gre options:remote_ip=address

My question is that when I show the interface using ovs-ofctl br0 show, OVS reports the port speed as 100Mbps even though I am using a 1G NIC:

 2(gre0): addr:82:34:a7:24:07:d4
     config:     0
     state:      0
     speed: 100 Mbps now, 100 Mbps max

Is this normal behavior?  This information seems to indicate to me that OVS may be limiting the GRE tunnel to 100 Mbps.  I have tried to set the port speed through the configuration options but cannot get it to change.

Thanks,

Jeff