[ovs-discuss] Question regarding openflow/ovs hardware performance

Ryan Young ryanyoung.soloy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 03:59:34 UTC 2012

Hello all,
I'm a newbie to openflow/ovs, and I have some questions regarding the
hardware performance implementing Openflow.
I got some experimental data below from some scientific reports(
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~delaat/rp/2011-2012/p18/report.pdf, et al):
(Varing with different platforms, mainly focuses on the commercial
switches)
The maximum number of  flows that can be installed in the flow table is
around 100k;
The time cost for installing single flow is about 1~6ms which means that
intalling millions of flows may cost hundreds seconds.
Does it means that recent openflow switches are still not applicable for
the arduous cases of the large scale network, e.g the load balancing
service for the web server cluster since the concurrent traffic may reach
millions requests per second, and the hardware performance above is
seriously unacceptable.
Thanks,
Regards,
Ryan