[ovs-discuss] Q: RDMA tunnel support in openvswitch

Alexey I. Froloff raorn at raorn.name
Thu Oct 4 12:47:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 01:14:36PM -0700, Jesse Gross wrote:
> You're welcome to experiment but if you do see results, I'm not sure
> that OVS is the place for these changes.  After all, adding an IP
> header isn't a very expensive operation by itself, so it seems that
> any improvements should benefit all of IPoIB.
Well, I've looked into IPoIB module sources and must admit that
you are right.  My approach is just a bit simpler than IPoIB.
High sys usage and low bandwidth are not because IPoIB is
"complex" or "brings additional overhead", this is because
packets are transferred one-by-one, one packet at a time.  While
"native" RDMA applications uses connections and transfers large
(64K) memory regions.  This reduces number of operations required
for transferring same amount of data.

This is definitely can't be implemented in OVS without major
redesign...

--
Regards,    --
Sir Raorn.   --- http://thousandsofhate.blogspot.com/