[ovs-discuss] ovs upstart

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Sep 4 18:23:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 01:21:49PM -0500, ovs.to.anomalyst at xoxy.net wrote:
> I am trying to build upstart .conf files to replace the (confusing)
> scripts currently installed in init.d.

Can you explain why the init.d scripts are confusing?  They are
written in a modular fashion, with comments, and the ovs-ctl script
even has a manpage.

>  openvswitch-controller  and openvswitch-switch
> What is the proper sequence to  start them and stop them, I am
> guessing it to be the following:
>
> 	openvswitch-controller	(TRL)
> 	ovsdb-server			(SRV)
> 	ovs-vswitchd			(VSD)

Do you really want to run openvswitch-controller at all?  It's really
intended only for testing.  It's not good for anything in production.
If you do want to start it, the order doesn't really matter.

For best results, you should start ovsdb-server before ovs-vswitchd.
The other order will work but it is suboptimal.