[ovs-discuss] ovs upstart

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Sep 4 19:19:18 UTC 2012

[adding back the list because I think you just dropped it
accidentally]

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 01:38:44PM -0500, ovs.to.anomalyst at xoxy.net wrote:
> I included the controller because that is what the current init.d
> script launches.

The openvswitch-controller package does start ovs-controller.  It
would make sense to start it via upstart if the admin installs that
package.  Otherwise, I would not start it.

> lllrjs at zvh2:~$ ovs-vsctl show
> 2012-09-04T18:27:10Z|00001|stream_unix|ERR|/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock:
> connection failed (No such file or directory)

You didn't start ovsdb-server, or ovs-vsctl and ovsdb-server disagree
about the location of the database socket (probably the latter given
the "ps" output you provided).

> lllrjs at zvh2:~$ ls -al /usr/local/var/run/openvswitch
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 29 10:33 .
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug  9 10:51 ..
>
> I dunno why the dbsock is missing when the process is running.

I don't know what parameters you provided when you started
ovsdb-server, or what you passed to "configure" when you configured
the build.