[ovs-discuss] OpenvSwitch kernel module

Valentin Bud valentin at hackaserver.com
Mon Sep 10 12:33:15 UTC 2012

Hello World,

Since this is my first post on this list I'd like to start it by thanking
you for all the hard work you've put in this useful and beautiful
technology.

I have just installed openvswitch 1.8 from source on a Debian Squeeze
6.0.5. I have followed the well documented
procedure available in INSTALL.Linux. Everything worked like a charm.

The kernel module is now in $OVS_SRC/datapath/linux/openvswitch.ko. I can
load it just fine using insmod. Maybe the question that follows is more
related to Debian rather than OpenvSwitch and I apologize if that's the
case.

How will the OS know to load openvswitch.ko at reboot. Shouldn't the make
install step install the module in /lib/modules? I think I can copy the
module to
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/net/openvswitch/openvswitch.ko and this
would work. Is this correct? And also copy the brcompat.ko if I need it.

The INSTALL.Linux mentions that I can build a Debian package, I think that
would install everything where it belongs. Haven't tried that yet to be
perfectly honest. That's the next step.

Thanks for your time. Good Will,