[ovs-discuss] determining the network interface attached to a bridge

ovs.to.anomalyst at xoxy.net ovs.to.anomalyst at xoxy.net
Wed Sep 12 21:53:44 UTC 2012

1) I am working on upstart scripts for ovs and trying to automate the
task of creating a configuration script tasked with getting the bridge
up and assigned an address via DHCP on boot.
How does one determine the network interface being used as the
upstream bridge interface?.
Without having added any additional VM ports to the bridge yet, I have this:

$ sudo ovs-vsctl show
f23e06e3-733a-46c3-b340-fc53d757ba42
    Bridge "br1"
        Port "eth2"
            Interface "eth2"
        Port "br1"
            Interface "br1"
                type: internal

Which has eth2 as the UBI, but has nothing explicit marking it as
such. Is it correct to assume that the 1st port/interface is always
the UBI?

2) Is it possible to connect a libvirt/qemu VM directly to a vanilla
ovs bridge or is brcompat required?

3) How do I obtain git access to add the .conf files  I have created
to amke them available for public consumption. (I am pretty much a git
noob).

BTW "http://openvswitch.org/git/openvswitch" gives a 404 error. That
URL is referenced in
"http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=summary"

4) May I suggest a revision to ovs-vsctl to put an asterisk or tilde
in the list to reflect the UBI that was assigned? E.G.
	Interface* "eth2"