[ovs-discuss] Openvswitch configuration with Ubuntu VM

Karthik Sharma karthik.sharma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 23:50:35 UTC 2013

I have a Windows 7 PC as host.The network details of my Windows PC are as
follows.

    IP ADDRESS               -   192.168.1.70
    DEFAULT GATEWAY          -   192.168.1.254

I have installed Virtual Box on Windows 7 and I have an Ubuntu 12.04
Virtual Machine running on the Virtual Box.

When the networking mode for the Virtual Machine is NAT.

    The machine has the IP       -   10.0.2.15 (eth0 - only one interface)

I am able to ping from VM to Host PC (192.168.1.70) as well as to Gateway
(192.168.1.254),which is my modem.

As expected I am not able to ping from my host PC to the Virtual Machine.

Now I have installed openvswitch on my PC.I do the following steps from the
Ubunut VM just to add a couple of bridges and see how it works.

    ovs-vsctl add-br br1
    ovs-vsctl add-br br2
    ovs-vsctl add-port br1 eth0
    ifconfig eth0 0
    ifconfig br1 10.0.2.15 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 10.0.2.15 br1
(br1 is now the default gateway NIC instead of eth0 since we moved eth0
inside of br1 (bridge interface br1)
    ifconfig br2 10.1.2.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 (no physical interface is
bound here.)

After doing the above steps I would expect to be able to ping from Ubuntu
VM to Windows 7 (Host)

When I ping Windows PC

    ping 192.168.1.70

It says

           `destination host unreachable`

Can someone point out what I am doing wrong.