[ovs-discuss] SR-IOV and storage over OVS

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Tue Apr 16 19:52:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Kristoffer Egefelt <kristoffer at itoc.dk> wrote:
> Thanks Jesse,
>
> I have a NAT firewall which logs something like this every second - OVS is processing ~400.000 packets/s - and I'm having issues with response times or even timeouts when load > 96%.
> Is there anything I can do about the latency/CPU usage, other than not running OVS on the NAT firewalls ?

There is a fair amount of work going on to improve in this area. If
you have a large number of established flows (instead of just new flow
setups), one thing that might help is to use
ovs-vsctl set bridge BR other-config:flow-eviction-threshold=X
to set the threshold above your expected number of sustained flows.
The default value is 1000.