[ovs-discuss] Simulate PVLAN(isolated secondary vlan) using OVS

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Apr 22 22:49:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 03:44:54PM -0700, Sheng Yang wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 03:17:36PM -0700, Sheng Yang wrote:
> > > Thanks Ben, I've checked the tutorial. But fully implement a switch
> > seems a
> > > big work for us at this time(and our current version of OVS don't have
> > > multiple flow tables support to make it more clear),
> >
> > How old is your version of OVS?  Multiple tables were in 1.4, I think.
>
> The version I am working on come with XenServer 6.0, which is 1.0.99(BTW, I
> cannot find this version in the git repo).

Oh, yeah, that's an antique.  That's on the confusingly named
"vlan-maint" branch.

> > > I think at least for OVS, the "normal" action should be a
> > > determined/well-known one, right? Because it's OVS who implemented it in
> > > this case. Is there any place I can find more information how "normal"
> > > things work on OVS?
> >
> > In OVS, "normal" is how all the features of the switch configured
> > through the database are implemented.  That is, if you execute
> > "normal" you get all those features.
> >

> Seems I need to dig into database to know what's "normal" is.

Yeah, there's no documentation that says "this is the pipeline, here's
a block diagram."  Sorry about that.

The database is documented, though.  In later versions it's in
ovs-vswitchd.conf.db(5).  I'm not sure whether it's in the same place
as far back as 1.0.99.