[ovs-discuss] Questions about OVS flow table

david zhang ccie20781 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 10:42:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

Recently, we have built a script to monitor the size of OVS flow table. We
found the number of flow entries in flow table jumps up and down between
1500 and 7000 in one OVS. So we want to understand more about the flow
table.

Below is my first 2 questions. Could you please help? Thank you very much!

(1) How the flow table is built initially if we have not manually add any
entry in OVSflow table entry;
(According to my understanding, the new flow entry will be added/created
when the first packet of the flow is coming in; is it correct?)

(2) What the flow table entry update and timeout mechanism is? How I know
individual flow entry's timeout?