[ovs-discuss] VMs in VLAN access internet

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Sat Aug 3 19:13:25 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 07:28:46PM +0430, 12navidb2 at gmail.com wrote:
> i had created two vm with two vnic in vlan with tag 200, the network is
> isolated really but is there any way to access INTERNET without using
> iptables ??
> in addition we have a cisco switch that has vlan 200, and  vlan200 routes
> to INTERNET from mikrotik... but  still i cant ping any site from from vm.

Q: I added a pair of VMs on the same VLAN, like this:

       ovs-vsctl add-br br0
       ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0
       ovs-vsctl add-port br0 tap0 tag=9
       ovs-vsctl add-port br0 tap1 tag=9

    The VMs can access each other, but not the external network or the
    Internet.

A: It seems likely that the machines you are trying to access in the
   external network are not on VLAN 9 and that the Internet is not
   available on VLAN 9.  Also, ensure VLAN 9 is set up as an allowed
   trunk VLAN on the upstream switch port to which eth0 is connected.