[ovs-discuss] The error of db.sock failed when system reboot

Andrei Andone andrei.andone at softvision.ro
Fri Aug 9 07:44:46 UTC 2013

Hello guys,

I'm really new to Open vSwitch but I'm pretty sure I found a bug (and if
not, I could use some help).

I already saw a thread with the exact same description:
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2013-January/008937.html

And the guys there say that the bridge.ko kernel module would be the
problem. I don't have a bridge kernel module installed and I still am
able to reproduce.
I am using the Ubuntu VM provided by mininet which by default comes with
ovs v1.4.3 so I purged that version and recompiled ovs v1.12.90 from
sources. After creating the dist files and installing them, I rebooted
the machine and noticed the bug:

*OVS - boot script bug*:

_Steps to reproduce_:
- fully install openvswitch v1.12.90 on a Ubuntu machine (binaries,
kernel module, boot scripts) as described in the official documents
- start all the components (ovsdb-server, openvswitch-switch,
openvswitch-controller)
- make sure it is up an running (`ovs-vsctl show` - should produce an
output containing a UUID)
- reboot the machine
- call `ovs-vsctl show` again

_Expected result_:
- the produced output should be the same as before the reboot

_Actual result_:
- the output shows a couple of errors related to /db.sock/

_Note_:
- until now we discovered that if we stop the ovsdb-server process,
delete the /db.sock/ file and relaunch ovsdb-server with all the
parameters* that should be in the init file the system will work until
the next reboot

* the following command is the one that I am using to fix ovs for the
current session. It was extracted from the official /"INSTALL" /document
in the root of the git repo:

ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock \
--remote=db:Open_vSwitch,Open_vSwitch,manager_options \
                      --private-key=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,private_key \
                      --certificate=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,certificate \
                      --bootstrap-ca-cert=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,ca_cert \
                      --pidfile --detach

If anyone else is able to reproduce this, please tell me if you know the
root cause. In the mean time I will keep you posted with what I find
(and a fix if I can get to it).

Thanks,
--
Andrei Andone

SOFTVISION | 57 Republicii Street, 400489 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Email: andrei.andone at softvision.ro <mailto:andrei.andone at softvision.ro>
| Web: www.softvision.ro <http://www.softvision.ro>

The content of this communication is classified as SOFTVISION
Confidential and Proprietary Information.