[ovs-discuss] The error of db.sock failed when system reboot

Andrei Andone andrei.andone at softvision.ro
Mon Aug 12 07:12:44 UTC 2013

On 08/09/2013 07:20 PM, Gurucharan Shetty wrote:

> [...]
>     the problem. I don't have a bridge kernel module installed and I
>     still am able to reproduce.
>     I am using the Ubuntu VM provided by mininet which by default
>     comes with ovs v1.4.3 so I purged that version and recompiled ovs
>     v1.12.90 from sources. After creating the dist files and
>     installing them, I rebooted the machine and noticed the bug:
>
>     *OVS - boot script bug*:
>
>     _Steps to reproduce_:
>     - fully install openvswitch v1.12.90 on a Ubuntu machine
>     (binaries, kernel module, boot scripts) as described in the
>     official documents
>     - start all the components (ovsdb-server, openvswitch-switch,
>     openvswitch-controller)
>     - make sure it is up an running (`ovs-vsctl show` - should produce
>     an output containing a UUID)
>     - reboot the machine
>     - call `ovs-vsctl show` again
>
>     _Expected result_:
>     - the produced output should be the same as before the reboot
>
>     _Actual result_:
>     - the output shows a couple of errors related to /db.sock/
>
>     _Note_:
>     - until now we discovered that if we stop the ovsdb-server
>     process, delete the /db.sock/ file and relaunch ovsdb-server with
>     all the parameters* that should be in the init file the system
>     will work until the next reboot
>
>     * the following command is the one that I am using to fix ovs for
>     the current session. It was extracted from the official /"INSTALL"
>     /document in the root of the git repo:
>
>     ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock \
>     --remote=db:Open_vSwitch,Open_vSwitch,manager_options \
>     --private-key=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,private_key \
>     --certificate=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,certificate \
>     --bootstrap-ca-cert=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,ca_cert \
>                          --pidfile --detach
>
> Since you need to specify
> "punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock", it tells me that you
> compiled openvswitch by hand. But you are most likely using the
> startup script "/etc/init.d/openvswitch-switch" that came from the
> debian package. Those two won't go well together because when debian
> package is built, the following configure options are used:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var  --sysconfdir=/etc
> --enable-ssl
>
> When you ran your configure, you probably did not give the same options?
>

>     If anyone else is able to reproduce this, please tell me if you
>     know the root cause. In the mean time I will keep you posted with
>     what I find (and a fix if I can get to it).
>
>     Thanks,
>     --
>     Andrei Andone
>
>     SOFTVISION | 57 Republicii Street, 400489 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
>     Email: andrei.andone at softvision.ro
>     <mailto:andrei.andone at softvision.ro> | Web: www.softvision.ro
>     <http://www.softvision.ro>
>
>     The content of this communication is classified as SOFTVISION
>     Confidential and Proprietary Information.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed I build ovs from sources and I didn't
configure it with those options. Where did you find those options? I
couldn't find them in the official INSTALL.Debian file (or any other
file in the git repo).

And if you could tell me, where can I find all the configure options?

Thanks,