[ovs-discuss] How many GRE Ports can an OVS bridge have?

Dmita Levy dlevy022 at fiu.edu
Thu Aug 15 05:58:52 UTC 2013

I'm testing OVS 1.04 on a Virtualbox VM running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with 1024
MB of RAM and I have to say that after 780 GRE port additions OVS shows no
signs of slow down. We were initially trying to create a kind of GRE tunnel
convergence between hosts when the network is first brought online where
every host would have a tunnel interface to every other OVS host but that
idea doesn't seem to scale well. The problem is due to the Bridge table
becoming massive and parsing a MONITOR response, extracting UUID info etc
gets increasingly slower. Not an OVS issue but interesting to me none the
less. So we will have to go the route of dynamic tunnel creation and
deletion when tunneling is not in use but OVS makes one heck of an
encapsulator when paired with JSON RPC and OpenFlow.