[ovs-discuss] DHCP not working on bridge

Andrei Andone andrei.andone at softvision.ro
Fri Aug 16 07:25:09 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 01:13 AM, Chris Wright wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
> * Andrei Andone (andrei.andone at softvision.ro) wrote:
>> I'm not sure what I am doing wrong and I'm running out of ideas
>> (patience too).
>>
>> I wanted to bridge my eth0 with ovs (yes, I read the F.A.Q. and did
>> all that and it didn't work).
>> I also tried the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 version (I
>> am running CentOS 6.3) and still doesn't work. When I restart the
>> network service it fails to determine IP information for the bridge.
>>
>> I've also tried (after dhcp failed from the /etc/init.d/network
>> restart) to run it manually:
>> `dhclient -v br0` and the output shows that I have only
>> DHCPDISCOVERY packs sent out and no DHCPOFFER coming in. Wireshark
>> shows me that there are DHCPOFFER packets incoming with my MAC as
>> destination.
>> So I also ran `dhclient -v eth0` right after and it works fine
>> (can't reach my network since eth0 is still configured as port to
>> br0, but it has a valid IP assigned).
>>
>> So does anyone know how I can fix this?
>>
>> I'm running openvswitch 1.12.90 (built from sources with kernel modules).
> With the master branch and this commit:
>
> 0d1d26d datapath: Fix RHEL compat for netdev_rx_handler_register
>
> I am able to manually obtain DHCP address on an ovs instance with a
> single device (eth1 in my case) connected to it.
>
> The steps I did were simply:
>
> # ifdown eth1
> # ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up
> # ovs-vsctl add-br ovs0
> # ovs-vsctl add-port ovs0 eth1
> # dhclient ovs0
>
> thanks,
> -chris

Thank you Chris,

I will try this fix. Hopefully I this fix also bypasses the kernel panic
that I was talking about in another thread.

One question though, were you able to reproduce the dhcp issue without
the commit that you mentioned?

Thanks,
--
Andrei Andone

SOFTVISION | 57 Republicii Street, 400489 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Email: andrei.andone at softvision.ro <mailto:andrei.andone at softvision.ro>
| Web: www.softvision.ro <http://www.softvision.ro>

The content of this communication is classified as SOFTVISION
Confidential and Proprietary Information.