[ovs-discuss] compiling questions

Feixiong Zhang feixiong at winlab.rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 19 14:27:55 UTC 2013

Hi, all,

I have some questions about compiling openvswitch.

1. I want to compile the openvswitch using g++ instead of gcc. The reason
for this is I'm doing some development based on openvswitch and my other
code is written in c++. So it will be much convenient for me if I can
compile openvswitch using g++. But after I run ./configure CC=g++ and make,
I get the following error:

lib/util.h:247:2: error: #error "Someone screwed up the #includes."
lib/util.h: In function ‘int ctz(uint32_t)’:
lib/util.h:263:25: error: ‘raw_ctz’ was not declared in this scope

any one has similar experience?

2. I'm running a 64 bit kernel, but I want to compile openvswitch into 32
bit binary. The reason again is for my other code and performance
consideration. guess I should keep the datapath the same as 64 bit as I
shouldn't load a 32 bit kernel module to 64 bit kernel, while compile the
user-level apps to 32 bit. anyone has some suggestion on how to do this?

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 with linux kernel 3.8.0-25-generic x86_64.

Thanks.
Feixiong