[ovs-discuss] What is the 'internal' port and interface for?

tudor tudor at tudorholton.com
Wed Aug 21 01:30:19 UTC 2013

Thanks. That answers the first question.

Second question was How
is the "local" port used?

If it were internal to the bridge, then
surely it wouldn't need to be shown, since it would be implementation
detail. There must be a reason why it's exposed. Is it able to be used
in some way?

Cheers,
Tudor.

On 2013-08-21 11:10, Reid Price wrote:

> Because it is the "local" port for a bridge. A bridge always has a
port with the same name.

> There is a patch [1] by Ben that changes
this message from
> ovs-vsctl: no port named br-eth1
> ovs-vsctl:
cannot delete port br-eth1 because it is the local port for bridge
br-eth1 (deleting this port requires deleting the entire bridge)

[1] patch info

> title: ovs-vsctl: Improve error message for
"ovs-vsctl del-port"
> link:
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2013-June/028634.html [3]

Hope this helps.

tudor <tudor at tudorholton.com [4]> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Complete
newbie question for which I can't seem to find an answer anywhere in the
docs or website. (Yes, I have searched but, being new, perhaps not
searching for the right thing!)

>> Why does each bridge need to
have a port and interface with the same name marked as type "internal"?

>> If I attempt to delete them, for example, it says that the port
does not exist. How else are they used?

>> e.g.
>>
>> $ovs-vsctl
show