[ovs-discuss] VMs lost network connections randomly

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Thu Aug 22 16:26:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Jian Qiu <swordqiu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Gurucharan!
>
> It sounds interesting. We'd like to try this approach. But could you
> please point out where I could find OVS kernel-userspace compatibility
> information? Is there any more detailed guide to upgrade ovs kernel without
> reboot?

The man page of ovs-ctl has information about 'force-reload-kmod'. If you
are using dhcp on OVS bridges, make sure to restart it after a
'force-reload-kmod'. As an example, now that you are on 1.4, you would be
installing the userspace and kernel module packages of 1.5. Then do a
'/etc/init.d/openvswitch[-switch] force-reload-kmod'. Restart your dhcp
service (if you are using it on a OVS bridge, else your lease will
eventually timeout). Then jump to 1.6, 1.7 and then to 1.9. I think you can
jump directly from 1.4->1.7. But test it before trying on a production
setup.