[ovs-discuss] Build openvswitch module with realtime patch set (kernel 3.2.0)

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Feb 4 21:47:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Squiddo <squiddo at intheocean.net> wrote:
> I'm looking at using openvswitch with the realtime patch set - should
> I be using the userspace version? I've had trouble getting the kernel
> module to compile -- the rt patches change skbuff.h and other includes
> that mess up the configure script.
>
> Looked through docs/faqs but see no mention of rt support. See a patch
> where some rt support is removed...

The out of tree OVS module only tries to track the mainline kernel and
backports from a few common distributions.  OVS is included as part of
Linux since 3.3 so you might be able to use it with a version of the
RT patchset from there or newer.

You could use the userspace datapath but the performance is
significantly worse than the kernel version.