[ovs-discuss] OVS Bonding using 2 USB Wireless Interfaces

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Feb 5 06:18:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 03:11:52PM +0900, Yuris Mulya Saputra wrote:
> I have a problem to make OVS bonding using 2 Wireless interfaces as AP or
> master mode (from 2 APs to 1 AP).
> First I make a bridge as usual and then make bonding with 2 wireless
> interface. But when I make bonding, the internet is diconnected for the
> client. My 2 APs have different MAC addresses. Should I make same MAC
> address for those 2 APs. After making one MAC address, what about the
> bridge and the client? Should the client also makes bonding?

The FAQ says:

Q: I can't seem to use Open vSwitch in a wireless network.

A: Wireless base stations generally only allow packets with the source
   MAC address of NIC that completed the initial handshake.
   Therefore, without MAC rewriting, only a single device can
   communicate over a single wireless link.

   This isn't specific to Open vSwitch, it's enforced by the access
   point, so the same problems will show up with the Linux bridge or
   any other way to do bridging.