[ovs-discuss] Adding flow rules to a laptop.

Carlos Amigo H. camigoh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:58:40 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm new using OVS although I have a little bit more experience working with
Openflow networks and I have a laptop Dell with a Intel wireless interface
and a Wifi USB adapter D-link. The goal is receive traffic from both
interfaces (I have in consideration that to do this I have to do address
rewriting). To achieve this I'm using OVS. The idea is insert flows per
interface to send all packets from the interfaces to a virtual interface
and to make sure packets can be sent from the laptop I want to install a
flow entry to send the packets from the virtual interface to one of the
interface available.

Firstly to simplify the task and to learn how to use OVS I'm trying to do
it only using one wireless interface therefore I need two flows that send
the traffic from the wireless interface to the virtual interface and
viceversa. So, based on what I've read, I'm doing:

# ovs-vsctl add-br br0
# ovs-vsctl add-port br0 wlan0
# ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vi0 -- set Interface vi0 type=internal
# ifconfig wlan0 0
# ifconfig br0 192.168.1.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# ovs-ofctl show br0
OFPT_FEATURES_REPLY (xid=0x1): ver:0x1, dpid:0000001b77157dd1
n_tables:255, n_buffers:256
features: capabilities:0xc7, actions:0xfff
 1(wlan0): addr:00:1b:77:15:7d:d1
     config:     0
     state:      LINK_DOWN
 2(vi0): addr:fa:09:e7:7f:29:4d
     config:     0
     state:      0
 LOCAL(br0): addr:00:1b:77:15:7d:d1
     config:     0
     state:      0
OFPT_GET_CONFIG_REPLY (xid=0x3): frags=normal miss_send_len=0

# ovs-ofctl add-flow br0 in_port=1,idle_timeout=0,actions=output:2
# ovs-ofctl add-flow br0 in_port=2,idle_timeout=0,actions=output:1
# ovs-ofctl dump-flows br0
NXST_FLOW reply (xid=0x4):
 cookie=0x0, duration=22.809s, table=0, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0, in_port=1
actions=output:2
 cookie=0x0, duration=16.057s, table=0, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0, in_port=2
actions=output:1
 cookie=0x0, duration=1210.134s, table=0, n_packets=86, n_bytes=16555,
priority=0 actions=NORMAL

I can't use the wlan0 to connect the laptop to the wireless network because
i'm doing a bridge between two ports(vi0 and wlan0) that are in the same
laptop. I should connect the laptop to the access point through br0,
right?. But I can't because  br0 is not recognized as a wireless interface.
What I should do about this?

I really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Regards.