[ovs-discuss] fail-mode vs emer-reset

Saul St. John sstjohn at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 4 23:41:31 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm working with Linux-kernel datapath openvswitches in an environment
where MAC-learning is not safe. Consequently, all bridges have been set
to the secure fail-mode.

An under-development controller recently freaked out and caused a
traffic storm. I carelessly issued 'ovs-vsctl emer-reset' to disconnect
it and clear the flows, which just made a bad situation worse (because,
as I found out, emer-reset changes the fail-mode to standalone.)

This leads me to ask: is there a way to configure a default fail-mode
that survives emer-reset?