[ovs-discuss] openflow protocol

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Mon Jan 28 17:13:09 UTC 2013

It isn't really a layer 2 protocol (it's carried over layer 4), but it allows you to program a switch to make decisions on the traffic it sees based on layer 2 headers (as well as other headers and metadata such as the ingress port).  For example, you could tell the switch if it sees a particular MAC address to always forward it out a particular port so that learning isn't required.

--Justin