[ovs-discuss] Unable to get traffic through to internal interfaces inside a VM

Endre Karlson endre.karlson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:43:40 UTC 2013

I'm running the following setup:
VMware ESXi 5.1 Host running vDS with a Port Group with VLANs 5 named "LAB"

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS inside the ESXi that has the listed specs below and runs
some networking services for OpenStack
eth0 - management
eth1 - used for GRE tunneling between this node and some KVM nodes running
compute in OpenStack
eth2 - WAN

Now the funny thing is when I try to get connecticity on the first NIC
which is on a Port Group using just "dhclient" as below:
dhclient eth2

Now I see traffic working fine and I get a address, now the odd bit comes
when I try to add this interface to a OVS bridge after "nulling" it out
with 0.0.0.0 and trying to get an address on another so called "internal"
port in the OVS bridge.
ovs-vsctl add-br br-ex
ovs-vsctl add-port br-ex eth2
ovs-vsctl add-port br-ex wan -- set Interface wan type=internal
dhclient wan

Now the above yields nada results, but even more odd I think is that when I
do
dhclient br-ex

I actually get a IP as when I do it just for eth2 when eth2 is not a member
of a OVS bridge.

Any hints on this?

Endre.