[ovs-discuss] Why VXLAN setting for OVS needs remote IP option?

JinHwan Hwang calanchue at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 08:18:04 UTC 2013

http://networkstatic.net/configuring-vxlan-and-gre-tunnels-on-openvswitch/

using GRE
ovs-vsctl add-port br1 gre1 -- set interface gre1 type=gre
ovs-vsctl add-port br1 gre1 -- set interface gre1 type=gre

using VXLAN
ovs-vsctl add-port br1 vx1 -- set interface vx1 type=vxlan
ovs-vsctl add-port br1 vx1 -- set interface vx1 type=vxlan

I found that VXLAN setting use very similar setting with GRE version. That
makes me confusing about VXLAN concept. As i read through googling(I
haven't used it before), VXLAN use IP multicast, and IP multicast
needs a multicast
group address, not a specific IP of a node. How VXLAN things works at OVS?
I could assume that there exists some default multicast group address. But
if it is the case, why do i need to fill specific remote address?
If VXLAN needs a specific IP of a node, how can i construct vxlan network
consist of several nodes? Do i need to set up full-mesh setting for each
node?

thanks for your help

ps. Are there any documents about using vxlan in ovs? I can't find any
things about vxlan in man page. I want to look through options for using
vxlan.