[ovs-discuss] datapath kernel module

Neelakantam Gaddam neelugaddam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:31:23 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am trying to understand the OVS kernel module which implements the
datapath. I have few questions regarding the kernel module.

How the kernel flow table is populated? Is it via ovs-vswtchd daemon
through netlink sockets?

If it is through netlink sockets, how can we add/del/set/get the flows
to/from kernel module through userspace commands such as ovs-ofctl or
ovs-dpctl?

When we add a new bridge, is there any default flow created in the kernel
flow table? I observed this when I add a bridge using ovs-vsctl.

I am trying to add the flows using ovs-ofctl, but they are not going to the
kernel module. What is the reason for this?

--
Thanks & Regards
Neelakantam Gaddam