[ovs-discuss] Improved flow set up performance

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Wed Jul 10 06:50:35 UTC 2013

On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:18 AM, neeraj <neeraj at nectechnologies.in> wrote:

> I am working on OVS-1.7.3. I come to know from mailing list that Version 1.11 will include support for kernel wildcarding, which can significantly improve flow set up performance.
> Have you done any performance test to test the performance increase of this release? I want to know how much percent the performance will increase with respect to OVS-1.7.3.

I've become reluctant to provide numbers, since people then follow up and demand that I reproduce my numbers in their environment.  :-)  I will say that in my testing, when configuring OVS to behavior similar to the Linux bridge, the performance is quite close.  However, if the switch is configured so that it can do less wildcarding (based on flow definitions or actions), then the performance will degrade as more packets miss and need to be handled by ovs-vswitchd.  I would guess that most users of OVS will see a significant improvement, though.

--Justin