[ovs-discuss] Planning Ahead

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Mon Jul 15 19:33:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM, JPDSYS2 Machine <jpdsys2 at comcast.net>wrote:

> I've been running five CentOS 5 x86_64 machines and I am now consolidating
> down to one large machine. The machine will be on a AMD Opteron platform
> with 64 GB RAM and I have on hand 4 - 1 TB SATA hard drives and 2 - 1.5 TB
> SATA hard drives.
>
> Since I am going from 5 to 1 I will be using KVM virtualization.  I am the
> most comfortable on CentOS 5.9 x86_64. My questions are:
> Do I need openvswitch in this environment?

I don't think you will really need Open vSwitch if your only goal is to do
server virtualization. If you are interested in the following features
though, Open vSwitch will be a good choice.
http://openvswitch.org/features/

> If I do, how do I configure it - is there a tutorial available?

Since you would be using KVM as your hypervisor, you can look up libvirt
integration with OVS. It is quite straight-forward.

> Since I am not a Network Admin, what is the learning curve?

I think one has to atleast understand tap devices, o/p of tcpdump,
protocols like ARP, ICMP etc to do any meaningful debugging.
There is documentation about openvswitch here:
http://openvswitch.org/support/

Thanks,
Guru