[ovs-discuss] How to properly forward certain protocols to a port?

Can Zhang can at canx.me
Tue Jul 23 14:11:02 UTC 2013

Hello,

Firstly I'll describe a simple scenario I tried:

peer packets --- eth0 ---- ovs ---- tap0

I configured tap0 with IP 192.168.57.100, two flows to forward packets from eth0 and tap0 to the other side, and pinged from outside to the IP. I did capture ARP request on eth0 using wireshark, but could not see any packets on tap0. It seems that after attach a port to ovs, the IP address is no longer effective.

My goal is to use a machine installed with ovs as a openflow switch but it can also handle some packets(say, a normal socket server can still work). So I'm thinking of extract some packets to tap0 and make the server listen on it. But the experiments I did failed as above. I have no idea what to try next so I come to see if somebody could give me some suggestions.

Best regards,
Can Zhang