[ovs-discuss] br0 is not a bridge in OVS even after creating the bridge

Muhammad Asad muhammad.asad at aisec.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jun 4 13:38:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am running 2 VMs through Virtual Machine manager and has OVS and POX
controller at the host. So, I tried the following commands:

/ovs-vsctl add-br br0//
//ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet0//
//ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet1//
//ifconfig vnet0 promisc up//
//ifconfig vnet1 promisc up//
//ovs-vsctl set-fail-mode br0 standalone//
//ovs-vsctl set-fail-mode br0 secure//
//ovs-vsctl set-controller br0 tcp:0.0.0.0:6633/

After this, I looked into OVS by using *ovs-vsctl show* and it returned
the following output:

7e431756-a6e0-4b66-84ae-935f0946abe3
     Bridge "br0"
         Controller "tcp:0.0.0.0:6633"
         fail_mode: secure
         Port "vnet1"
             Interface "vnet1"
         Port "br0"
             Interface "br0"
                 type: internal
         Port "vnet0"
             Interface "vnet0"

But when I try to check the flows by using *ovs-ofctl dump-flows br0 *it
says:

ovs-ofctl: br0 is not a bridge or a socket

Why br0 is not a bridge now when ovs-vsctl show had showed it as a bridge?

Regards,
Asad