[ovs-discuss] Problems getting OVS to work on RHEL/KVM

K.R Kishore krkishore at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 00:13:12 UTC 2013

Hi
I have installed the latest version of OVS (1.10) on RHEL 6.4 with KVM and running two VM's on it. I followed the instructions per  INSTALL.RHEL and INSTALL.KVM but had some problems during the process, but it looks like the install itself was successful.
The install problems  were:
	1. yum install kernel-kdump-devel (Error: no package ..available). This resulted in only one (default) rpm being generated
	2. make install could not install on /usr/local/bin/ because it was read-only file system (even when I was root). Redid the configure with a
different destination and it seemed to work. (not clear if this in
itself is a problem.
After the install,

	* Started ovsdb server
	* ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock \ --remote=db:Open_vSwitch,manager_options \  --pidfile --detach
	* ovs-vsctl --no_wait init

	* Started open vswitch daemon
	* ovs-vswitchd --pidfile --detach
	* setup the bridge
	* ovs-vsctl add-br ovsbr0
	* ovs-vsctl add-port ovsbr0 p4p1

	* 	*

After this I expected to see the bridges on ifconfig output, but I do not. dmesg tail shows:

   openvswitch: Open vSwitch switching datapath 1.10.0, built Jun  3 2013 16:04:10

Looking at the 'ps -ef' output shows ovsdb-server, ovs-vswitchd (2 processes) and [ovs_workq] running. ovs_workq is owned by root, the others by the user.

I went through the discussion archive and suggestions to similar problems were
	1. Look through ovs-vswitchd.log - I do not find this file anywhere, where is it? did my install go wrong?
	2. Create a new VM after creating the bridge - I tried that, but there is no bridge with the name I created to assign to the newly created vm
ovs-vsctl shows the new interfaces and bridge created, but are these just showing the registered names? how do I debug this?
thx,
Kishore