[ovs-discuss] Problems getting OVS to work on RHEL/KVM

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Thu Jun 6 02:34:59 UTC 2013

On Jun 5, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 09:48:49PM +0000, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
>> On Jun 5, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Kyle, you know more about Red Hat and Fedora than me, does any of this
>>> make sense?  Do you have any INSTALL.RHEL updates to suggest?
>>
>> I'm right in the middle of something else right now. Let me load a fresh CentOS system and try this on master late tonight or tomorrow morning and see what might be going on here. I build OVS Fedora RPMs almost everyday, and I've had no issues like this recently on either master or branch-1.10.
>
> Thanks!  I very much appreciate your help with these distros.

So I just tried this with a CentOS 6.4 system with the exact same kernel version as Kishore was using, and everything built just fine. I downloaded the 1.10 tar file from the OVS site and followed the instructions in INSTALL.RHEL. I was able to produce both the 2 userspace RPMs and the single kernel RPM just fine.

Kishore, I suggest you do the following to start fresh:

rm -rf ~/rpmbuild
mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,BUILDROOT,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}

Then follow the instructions exactly as they are in INSTALL.RHEL and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Kyle