[ovs-discuss] request for clarity in configuring ports/interfaces/fake bridge/VLANs

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Jun 19 16:54:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 06:43:05PM +0530, Thiru Murugan wrote:
> I need to have multiple interfaces (each associated with a different VLAN)
> made available to the VMs running on the host/hypervisor machine with the
> help of open vswitch.
>
> I have created a main bridge: br0
> It uses the bonding (bond0) port -- It is trunk port with multiple VLANs
> defined at the physical switch
> I finally created multiple port under the main bridge: port1, port2, port3,
> and assigned it with different "trunks" or VLANs

Are you sure you want trunk ports?  Access ports are more common.  (If
you do not know the difference, the FAQ explains.)

> Now my intention is to have these VMs to get these VLANs available as
> interfaces.
> I also like to bring up the following queries to understand the open
> vswitch concept better:
>
> 1. Can I create/add multiple interfaces under one Port which is created in
> the main bridge?

A port that has multiple interface is a bond.  Otherwise, create
multiple ports.

> 2. Can I have multiple VLANs defined on a Fake Bridge? and can I create
> multiple Ports on a Fake Bridge?

No.  Yes.

> 3. The default port created in the Main Bridge, is it similar to a VLAN
> interface 1 that we create on a physical bridge?

It could be, if you assigned it to a VLAN.

> 4. I assume that we create multiple VLANs under the Main Bridge by creating
> multiple Ports and assigning different VLAN IDs to it. Is there a way to
> create/define multiple VLANs directly on the Main Bridge and then create
> Ports under the bridge and then associating these ports to respective VLAN
> IDs that we want? -- just like how we do on a physical switch?

A VLAN is a property of a port.  To configure a port as an access port,
set its 'tag' column.  You can do this as part of adding the port,
e.g.:
        ovs-vsctl add-port br0 tap0 tag=123