[ovs-discuss] GRE tunnel - no ping reply

krishna kumar ipower2 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 22:04:14 UTC 2013

Thanks for your reply!
Not sure if I understood what you said correctly... please correct me if I'm wrong.
The two subnets are each behind a router which has a public IP.
Then the 10.x.x.x has a GRE tunnel interface with remote ip of 108.x.x.x and vice versa.
I have also setup a DNAT in the firewall to forward any packet to 108.x.x.x with protocol 47 to 192.168.x.x (VM).
And I also added a flow that says any traffic from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x should goto GRE tunnel interface.
It seems it is working fine. The ICMP request from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x is getting encapsulated and the GRE packets are received on the 192.168.x.x network. But the ICMP reply is not generated on the 192.168.x.x side.

Not sure where we would need another router between these two subnets.