[ovs-discuss] Problem with interface and fake bridges not getting assigned IP address with CentOS 6.3

Brian Turek brian.turek at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 13:25:39 UTC 2013

I recently began using OVS with KVM on CentOS 6.3 and ran into an
irritating issue.  It appears that, on host machine startup, the custom
ifup-ovs script is prematurely calling ifconfig to assign the IP address
that is specified in the appropriate ifcfg file.  I experienced this
problem with both fake bridges and interfaces that separate out a VLAN.

The symptom of this problem is I reboot my host and my management
connection (which is running through OVS) is down.  If I walk up to the
server, I see the interface/bridge listed with ifconfig -a but no IP is
assigned.  My original hack solution was to put a "service network
restart" in my /etc/rc.local but that unsurprisingly causes problems
with libvirtd starting and it not necessarily finding the network
interfaces that it expects.  My workaround for the moment is to have OVS
start on boot-up and have a "service network restart," a "service
libvirtd start," and a "service libvirt-guests start" in my /etc/rc.local

Is there any way for ifup-ovs to wait for the interface to actually be
present before attempting to assign an IP?