[ovs-discuss] Ping works, regular network traffic does not.

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Fri Mar 8 09:17:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've got a strange networking problem, with connecting a private network (across GRE tunnels) with a physical network (vlan).
* I can ping from my virtual to nodes to the "real network" and vice versa.
* "Real" traffic (e.g. TCP packets) from the "physical network" to the virtual disappears into nothingness. (Traffic from the virtual arrives at the physical network)

It looks like the openvswitch discards the traffic from the physical network before tcpdump is allowed to capture any traffic.
(a tcpdump on the eth interface does not show any return traffic)

I've ruled out the physical network (tried a setup on same machine without openvswitch and traffic does arrive)

Any suggestion about what could be going on?
Also, is there any way to see which traffic is discarded by openvswitch?
Any other good troublehooting tips is appreciated, still a openvswitch newbie :)

We have the following setup:
* A openstack private network (running accross GRE tunnels)
* A bridge-mapped network to a vlan on the "physical network"
* A quantum router patched into the SDN and the "physical network"
* quantum-l3-agent running
* Our router on the "physical network" routes the subnets designated for use as openstack private networks to the quantum-l3-agent node

Thx,
Robert van Leeuwen