[ovs-discuss] Help~~GRE tunnel let kernel reboot!?! Why!?!

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Mar 11 16:28:53 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM, 謝秉融 <faithfulman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My openvswitch version is 1.7.1
> And I use command"ovs-vsctl add-port br0 gre0 -- set interface gre0 type=gre
> I built a GRE tunnel between ovs1 and ovs2.
> My question is
>
> 1.Loops will let the kernel crash and reboot?
>
> 2.If there is no loops,why this tunnel still let kernel crash...?
>
> And there is a backtrace from kdump below.

This stack trace indicates a loop, so I'm not sure if there is a
second problem or if the loop remains in your configuration in the
second case.

OVS has some basic kernel loop prevention but ultimately it's not
really possible to prevent all loops (particularly when going through
the IP stack) without preventing some legitimate use cases.