[ovs-discuss] Why the openvswitch flood the packet_in message to all the port in some time latter?

謝秉融 faithfulman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 08:07:16 UTC 2013

Hi,
I am trying to use floodlight controller to control the openvswitch(1.7.3).
And I did not change the configuration in floodlight.

controller(10.0.0.11)<----->openvswitch(10.0.0.12) ------->VM1(10.0.0.13)

          L------->VM2(10.0.0.14)

This is my topology.
I know controller will push packet_out or flow_mod to help switch to
forward the message,and it works.

After doing  this,I install the wireshark to capture the packet on vm1's
port eth0.
It does the reasonable work at in the beginning,VM1 gets the packet which
dst mac=VM1.
But after a while,VM1 get the packet from 10.0.0.12 to 10.0.0.11.
I have no idea why switch flood the packet_in to all the port.
I am sure Floodlight did not push the flow_mod to flood the packet_in.
("ovs-ofctl dump-flows br0" did not show any flooding actions)
Is this a reasonable behavior of switch?
What happened?

Best.

Faithfulman