[ovs-discuss] CentOS 6.4 warning: "RTNETLINK answers: File exists" while network restart.

Denis Iskandarov d.iskandarov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 17:29:52 UTC 2013

I've tried your suggestion and renamed ovs0 to br0.
But still same.
I knew that it's not problem but anyways tried. Anything could happen.
I knew because it's giving this warning not on bridge creation but on both
ethernets i added to this bridge.
Here is output of "service network restart" with bridge which contains 2
interfaces.

# service network restart
> Shutting down interface br0:                               [  OK  ]
> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down interface eth1:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface br0:                                 [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:  RTNETLINK answers: File exists [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth1:  RTNETLINK answers: File exists [  OK  ]

Another my suggestion: while i have renamed ovs0 to br0, and renamed bridge
of interfaces in network script files only and restarted service networ
i've got error that can't add interfaces becouse they are slaves of ovs0
which i thought i have removed by only changing names in network scripts.
So i have checked ovs-vsctl and whole old configuration was still in place.
i had to remove it and then next network restart assigned this interfaces
to br0.
So final thought: while system service destroys interfaces and then trying
to add it again it seeing that those already are part of bridge in system
and nothing to do here.

What do you think about that, Ben?