[ovs-discuss] internal port problem

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Fri Mar 15 15:31:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Fang <wchunx416 at 126.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.I have two more questions.
> 1.What's the difference between "internal port" and "fake bridge"?I can use
> "fake bridge" to replace "internal port" in my test.

A fake bridge uses an internal port to emulate the vlan model used by
the Linux bridge.  Therefore, they are functionally the same but a
fake bridge allows the use of bridge commands to manipulate it.  If
you don't have existing tools then it is better to not use this
compatibility layer.

> 2.If I use gre tunnel,i have to add the gre port to the different bridge
> with the host NIC(eth0).Is there any way to put "gre port"
> and eth0 on one bridge without causing a loop?

You could use OpenFlow rules to completely isolate them.  This
basically just creates two bridges within one.